46 year-old Newton-Brown lives in Hawksburn and has Bachelors of Arts and Laws from Monash University. He is a former Councillor and Deputy Lord Mayor of the City of Melbourne, and worked as a Barrister specialising in planning law before his election to parliament in 2010, though he has dabbled in small business, including running the first water taxi service on the Yarra River. He was also the owner of the Southbank footbridge café and has also volunteered with several local legal services.
Source: ABC Election Blog – State Seat of Prahran
Statement from Clem Newton-Brown MP, Member for Prahran
It has been a privilege and an honour to represent the local community in Parliament as the State Member for Prahran since 2010.
Delivering for our community has been my number one priority and much has been achieved, including:
- Public transport investment that has seen 10,000 new services per week and the Frankston Line reliability rocket from 65% to 90%.
- A new 10 minute timetable from 6:30am to 8pm in April next year for Hawksburn and Toorak stations.
- Over $1 million for bike lane improvements.
- More police on the street and Protective Service Officers on every station from 6pm to last train.
- Tough new planning zones that protect much of our area from developments over two storeys.
- A commitment to 24 hour clearways on Punt Rd to ease local traffic congestion.
Most importantly, it is through the support and contribution of the local community that I have been able to deliver $20 million for a State secondary school for our kids. As a community, we have worked together to make this a reality and I am really looking forward to building a world class secondary school should I be re-elected. The preferred site I am working towards achieving with our $20 million funding is the Victorian College for the Deaf on St Kilda Road.
Additionally, a re-elected Napthine Government will invest a total of $300,000 into infrastructure upgrades at South Yarra, Toorak and Stonnington Primary Schools.
As Chair the Parliamentary Law Reform Committee, I have been involved in significant law reforms over the past four years including protecting our kids from being convicted of child pornography offences for sexting and giving donor conceived children the right to information about their biological parents.
I’m also very proud to have been able to instigate the introduction of legislation to expunge the criminal records of men convicted of homosexual acts prior to decriminalisation in 1981.
Prahran is an amazing place to live but there is still a lot to do to make our neighbourhood even better. I look forward to your support as I continue to fight for all people in Prahran.